Airport type refers to the type of traffic the airport serves:
- Commercial - the airport handles scheduled airline flights.
- Military - the airport is used only by the military (an active military installation).
- Mixed-Use - the airport shares facilities (typically runways) between military and public operations. Additionally, it should be specified whether the airport receives commercial traffic or not, e.g. Mixed-Use Commercial or Mixed-Use Public. An airport that receives incidental military traffic but is not co-located with an active military installation should not be designated Mixed-Use.
- Private - the airport is privately owned and requires permission from the owner for aircraft operations.
- Public - the airport is open to the public, but handles only general aviation flights.