Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
|Continent: North America||Country: United States||Region: Georgia (United States)|
|Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport|
|Overview map||Google Maps|
|Tower||119.3 (RWYS 9R/27L & 9L/27R)
119.1 (RY 08R/26L & 08L/26R)
123.85 (RYS 09R/27L & 09L/27R)
125.325 (RYS 08R/26L & 08L/26R)
119.5 (RY 10/28)
|Ground||121.75 (RWYS 9L/27R & 9R/27L)
121.9 (RWYS 8R/26L & 8L/26R)
|Approach||126.9(270-089) 127.9(090-269) 118.35(090-269) 127.25(270-089)|
|Departure||125.0(RYS 9L/27R & 09R/27L) 125.7(RYS 08L/26R & 08R/26L)|
|Plane Spotting Hotels guide|
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is located seven miles (11 km) south of downtown Atlanta, Georgia, United States. It is the world's busiest airport by passenger traffic and takeoffs and landings. Delta Air Lines operates the world's largest airline hub from the airport. The airport has five parallel runways (8L/26R, 8R/26L, 9L/27R, 9R/27L, 10/28) and seven concourses (T, A, B, C, D, E and F, respectively).
Official Spotting Locations
There are no designated official spotting locations at the airport. The City of Atlanta Department of Aviation recommends the parking decks for aircraft viewing/photography. However, recent reports from photographers indicate that they are now considered no loitering areas and photographers have been approached by police and told to leave shortly after arriving.
Other Spotting Locations
Old Dixie Highway
There are numerous places to park an automobile along Old Dixie Highway, located on the east side of the airfield. This spot is perfect when arrivals are utilizing runways 26L, 26R, 27L, 27R, and 28.
Cell Phone Lot
The cell phone lot for the South Terminal offers a great view as it is just off the edge of Twy L. It is possible to photograph from this lot in the summertime when the light is workable, albeit through a fence. Still a great place to sit for free and watch planes depart from Runway 9L.
Each concourse at ATL has glass windows that offer excellent views of ramp activity as well as views of the north and south runways in some cases. The windows at each concourse are usually cleaned on a daily basis and allow for some decent photographic opportunities.
Renaissance Concourse Atlanta Airport Hotel
The Renaissance Concourse Atlanta Airport Hotel offers guest rooms with balconies that overlook the airport's runways. The Concorde Bar & Grill in the hotel also offers views of the airport.
MARTA Airport Station Platform
The MARTA, metropolitan Atlanta's rapid transit service, has its southernmost station at the Airport. From the station's train platform, which requires payment to access, you can view all runways and watch flights takeoff and land at any time of day. MARTA Police may stop and question you if you stay too long, so make it a short visit.
Locations to Avoid
North and South Terminal Parking
The parking structures had been previously reported as being considered permissible areas for spotting and photography by the airport, however recent reports from photographers indicate that they are now considered no loitering areas and photographers have been approached by police and told to leave shortly after arriving.
ATL is inundated with Delta Air Lines traffic but also sees scheduled service from all major U.S. carriers, a handful of international airlines, and a variety of cargo operators. ATL also has a large charter presence.
- American Airlines: 737-800, MD-80, A319
- American Eagle: CRJ-700, ERJ
- Delta Air Lines: 717-200, 737-700/800/900ER, 757-200/300, 767-300/400, 777-200, MD-88, MD-90, A319/A320/A321, A330-200/300, A220-100
- Delta Connection: CRJ-200/700/900, EMB-170/175
- Frontier Airlines: A319, A320, A320NEO, A321
- Spirit Airlines: A319, A320, A320NEO
- Southwest Airlines: 737-700/800
- United Airlines: A319/A320, 737-700/800/900
- United Express: CRJ-200/700, ERJ, EMB-170
- Air Canada Jazz: CRJ-700
- Air France: 777-200/300, 747-400
- British Airways: 777-200
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines: A330-200
- Korean Air: 747-400, 777-300ER, 777-200, A380
- Lufthansa: A330/A340
- ABX Air (Airborne Express/DHL): 767-200F
- Aerologic: 777-200F
- Air Cargo Germany: 747-400F
- Air France Cargo: 747-400F
- Asiana Cargo: 747-400F
- British Airways (Global Supply Systems): 747-8F
- Cargolux: 747-400F
- Cathay Pacific: 747-8F
- China Airlines: 747-400F
- China Cargo Airlines: 747-400F
- EVA Air: 747-400F
- FedEx: A300F, A310F, DC-10F/MD-10F, MD-11F, 727F, ATR-72F
- Korean Air: 747-400F
- Lufthansa Cargo: MD-11F
- Qatar Airways: 777-200F
- Singapore Airlines: 747-400F
- United Parcel Service (UPS): A300F, 757-200F, 767-300F
- Omni Air International: 767-300, 777-200