Luxembourg Findel Airport
|Continent: Europe||Country: Luxembourg|
|aéroport de Luxembourg / Findel|
|Overview map||Goole Maps|
|Plane Spotting Hotels guide|
- 1 Official Spotting Locations
- 2 Other Spotting Locations
- 3 Locations to Avoid
- 4 Regular Traffic
- 5 Facilities and Transportation
Official Spotting Locations
There are no official spotting locations at Luxembourg's main airport Findel.
Other Spotting Locations
Important: When approaching the airport listen to the tower radio on 118.10 to find out which runway is in use, because when Runway 24 is in use (66%) the 06 Location is absolutely useless and opposite.
For both locations on the 24 leave the motorway A1 immediately after passing the the runway bridge at the entrance "Cargo Center". If you are driving the motorway from Luxembourg to Trier, then take the exit "Centre Fret Est" (just before the runway bridge). Then you will enter a little circuit. Take the exit to "Neihaischen".
Runway 24 Location 1 (afternoon)
- Requires: ladder if you want to take photos over the fence
After taking the exit "Neihaischen" you have to take the turn to the left. Then immediately after that turn, you can enter to a little place on your right. Take that exit and park your car! PAY ATTENTION! THE GROUND IS VERY WAVY! On that place you shouldn't park your car in face of that gate, otherwise the police wants to talk to you! By using a ladder this location is very good for inbound flights on runway 24 and for planes starting at runway 24. Bad light conditions before 14:00.
Runway 24 Location 2 (morning)
- Requires: ladder
After taking the exit "Neihaischen" take the left turn and continue on that road. Pass under the runway bridge and continue. Don't leave that road neither on the right neither on the left. You have to drive a little bit uphill then a little bit downhill. In the forest, on your right side, there is a little parking area. Leave your car there and walk the remaining 300 meters. After reaching the runway fence you can choose your position as you want. From here you can take pictures from landing airplanes and you will get an eye to eye picture for departing airplanes. Good light conditions until 14:00.
Runway 06 Location 3 (afternoon)
- Requires: (ladder if you want to be as close as possible to take pictures over the fence)
For this location leave the Autoroute Trier Luxembourg at "Airport". Pass the Banking buildings enter the first large circuit, drive along the airport buildings for about 2,5 KM after passing a "Norsk Bank" on the left the road goes a little uphill, when reaching the hill you have to go immediately to the left entering a small street without any Signs. This location is for the traffic on runway 06. No ladder required for inbound flights. A unique chance (at least in Europe!) to get as close as about 15 meters to the wings of starting planes on the taxiway by using a ladder. When you are at the fence and close to the starting planes be careful with the exhaust of the 747 (they produce a lot of exhaust) don't breath in!
Locations to Avoid
Avoid to park your car in front of any gate. (The police will then visit you!)
Every day, ELLX is being visited by many general aviation aircrafts, because a lot of companies has their headquarter in Luxembourg (ArcelorMittal, many European institutions,...) and because Luxembourg has much banks.
- British Airways (Boeing 737-400)
- CityJet (Air France) (Fokker 50)
- Hahn Air (Hawker Beechcraft Premier I)
- Cimber Air (Canadair CRJ200)
- Hamburg International (Airbus A319)
- KLM cityhopper (Fokker 50, Fokker 70, Embraer ERJ 170)
- Lufthansa Cityline (CRJ700) ROUTE BEGINS ON WINTER SCHEDULE 2010!
- Luxair (Being 737, EMB-134/145, Bombardier Q400)
- SAS Scandinavian Airlines (Canadair CRJ900)
- Swiss International Airlines (Avro 146)
- TAP Air Portugal (Airbus A319, Airbus A320)
- Tunisair (Boeing 737-600)
- Portugalia (Fokker 100)
- Aero-Charter Airlines (Antonov An-26)
- Air Atlanta Cargo (Boeing 747-200/400)
- Air Bridge Cargo (Boeing 747-200/400)
- Atlas Air (Boeing 747-200)
- Cargolux (Boeing 747-400)
- Cargolux Italia (Boeing 747-400)
- China Airlines Cargo (Boeing 747-400)
- China Cargo Airlines (MD-11F, Boeing 777)
- Ethiopian Cargo (MD-11F)
- Jade Cargo (Boeing 747-400)
- MK Airlines (Boeing 747-200/400)
- MNG Airlines Cargo (Airbus A300)
- Qatar Cargo (Airbus A300)
- Yangtse River Express (Boeing 747-400)